Sharing projects make it possible for separate organizations in Memsource to collaborate while using their own resources (for example, translation memories, term bases, or users). For instance:
- A corporate Memsource customer can share a project with a translation company.
- A Multi-Language Vendor can share projects with Single-Language Vendors.
- A translation company can share projects with Memsource users who have a Team Start account, instead of only being able to assign them to Linguist users.
Getting Started with Shared Projects
After the buyer sets up the Vendor connection, the button "Share" will be active on a project page and the Buyer can now start sharing projects with the Vendor. Also, the Vendor can transfer their project to Buyer.
A distinct Shared Project icon is displayed for shared projects.
To unshare a project, follow the same steps as for sharing and select the first empty line in the Vendors list.
Shared Project Owners
Once the Buyer organization creates a new Vendor (effectively creating the Vendor/Buyer relationship), a Buyers list will be displayed for the vendor organization under the Vendor Setup. The connected Buyer organizations will be listed there, and the Vendor will be able to select a default project owner for each Buyer. This is important because all email notifications are sent to project owners. Please note that a shared project will always have two project owners—the Buyer project owner and the Vendor project owner.
It is now also possible to transfer the project ownership from Vendor to Buyer if the Vendor creates a project and then shares it ex-post with a Buyer.
Shared Projects Email Notifications
An email notification is sent automatically:
- To the Vendor project owner when a project is assigned to them by the buyer.
- To the Buyer project owner when the status of the shared project is changed by the Vendor.
Shared Projects Rights
Our philosophy is to provide a fairly open framework for collaboration that is based on mutual trust between the Buyer and the Vendor. In general, the Buyer has a bigger say than the Vendor, but both can do quite a lot. We also prefer not to "lock" any actions and instead make it possible to revert any unwanted actions (e.g. mistakenly deleted jobs can be recovered from the recycle bin).
- The Buyer has a full right to the project and all Buyer's resources (TM/TB, MT engine, etc.)
- the Buyer may not Edit, Export, or Unselect Vendor's TMs/TBs.
- The Buyer is not able to see the names of Vendor Linguists.
The Vendor may not:
- Delete a shared project.
- Modify project machine translation settings.
- Edit, Export, or Unselect a Buyer's TMs/TBs.
- See the names of Buyer's Linguists.
The Vendor is allowed to carry out most project management tasks, such as:
- Create/edit/delete jobs, analyses, and reference files
- Split/pre-translate/download jobs
- Add subsequent Workflow Steps (Vendor Workflow Steps need to have higher hierarchical order)
- Assign Vendor Linguists to jobs
- Add vendor TMs
- Share jobs with other Vendors
Deleting in a Shared Project
- When a Vendor deletes an item in a shared project, both the Buyer and Vendor will be able to undelete it from the recycle bin.
- When a Buyer deletes an item in a shared project, only the Buyer will be able to undelete it.
The relevant Vendors feature works just like the relevant Linguists feature.
Transferring Project from a Vendor to a Buyer
The typical scenario when a Buyer and a Vendor collaborate in Memsource is that the Buyer will initiate a project and then share it with the Vendor. However, there are a number of instances when it is the Vendor who initiates the project and then needs to turn it into a shared project ex-post. With this feature, an existing project created by a Vendor can be turned into a shared project owned by the Buyer and shared with the Vendor. Once transferred, the Buyer will be notified of the new shared project. This feature is only available to organizations that have provided their Vendor token to at least one Buyer. If this is the case, they will be able to see the Buyer list under Setup in the Administration section.