If your XLS or XLSX is multilingual plain text, you can import it as several bilingual jobs to Memsource in one go.
Map the corresponding target language columns in the File Import Settings - it will create separate jobs for each language pair, while in the background the file will remain as one. And when you download the completed file after translation, you will have a single Excel file containing all languages.
- Excel is converted to XML 2003 Spreadsheet when imported - most of the Excel formatting, graphs and images will be lost.
- some files cannot be converted to multilingual due to the compatibility issues between various versions of Microsoft Excel.
File Import Settings:
1. Be sure to select Multilingual MS Excel in File Type option first (bottom of the File Import Setting page). Otherwise, the file will be imported as a regular Excel.
2. Then you can open the "Multilingual MS Excel" section and select following option:
- Use HTML subfilter - if your xlsx contains any html tags it can be imported with option HTML Subfilter. In this case it is possible to set additional setting in the HTML (such as Break tag (<br/>) creates new segment). Please note that paragraph tags (such as <p>) will create a new segments even if the Segment Multilingual XLS is unselected. It is important that target (unless is empty) has the same HTML structure as source, otherwise it can result in different segmentation of source and target and can cause troubles (target paragraph might be replaced with source paragraph).
- Segment multilingual XLS - it is safer to have one cell as one segment, but you can choose to have text segmented by general segmentation rule. (Please note the above mentioned HTML subfilter exception.)
- Source (column) - you can use small caps or capitals (a or A); for more columns, enter letters separated by commas with no spaces (for example A,D,G)
- Target (column) - one column for each target language; for more columns, enter letters separated by commas with no spaces (for example B,E,H)
- Context key (column) - Specify a context key that will be saved with the segment to the Translation Memory (available only if File Import Setting > TM Match Context and Optimization > Context Type is set to "Segment key" )
- Context note (column) - it is possible to have more columns as a context note (B,C) - the notes will be displayed on separate lines.
- Maximum length (column) - maximum length of the translation; for more columns, enter letters separated by commas, with no spaces (for example I,J,K)
- Convert to Memsource tags - use Regexp to convert non-translatable text into Memsource tags.
XLSX File example
An Excel file with two context notes and maximum target length:
Jobs in Project
Multilingual jobs have a slightly different icon then general XLSX jobs so they are easily distinguished from monolingual jobs.
If the file was imported as multilingual into several target languages, the Completed file will be always composed from all the target languages.