Machine Translation Quality Estimation (MTQE) is an AI-powered feature that provides segment level quality estimations for machine translation (MT) suggestions in a similar way to the quality estimations for translation memory (TM) matches and non-translatables (NT).
The instant MT quality scores help guide post-editing and can be used to enhance the default (pre-translation) analysis and assess MT engine quality.
To learn more about the benefits of MTQE, see our blog article.
The following scoring categories are currently supported:
- 100% -Excellent MT match, probably no post-editing required
- 95% - Very good MT match, possibly minor post-editing required
- 85% - Good MT match, but likely to require some post-editing
- No score - When there is no score, this means MTQE cannot identify the quality (it may be high or low) so the output needs to be checked by a linguist.
MTQE Matches in the Memsource Editors
The MTQE scores will appear at segment level together with other translation resources (TM, NT, TB). When hovering over the score, a tooltip with the match origin will appear. This origin will also appear at the bottom of the CAT panel in the metadata section.
To enable MTQE for an MT engine:
- Navigate to Setup > Integrations > Machine Translation Engines.
- Select the applicable MT engine and click the Edit button (alternatively you can also create a new MT engine). You can use MTQE with any of the MT engines supported by Memsource.
- Select the MT Quality Estimation checkbox and click Save.
- Once you successfully set up the MT engine, you will see a tick appear under Quality Estimation in the MT settings page.
With the MTQE correctly enabled for any of your MT engines, it will be automatically available in projects with this MT engine selected.
Please note MTQE is not supported in all language combinations. To see the list of currently available language pairs, please refer to the dedicated page on MTQE Support Languages.
With the MTQE feature enabled, you can run a Default Analysis which will include MT scores alongside the TM and NT scores.
To carry out this analysis, you need to enable Include machine translation matches (Beta) option. You can learn more in our Analyses section.
Include MT matches in Default analysis
As well as the instant, segment-level, quality matches in the Memsource Web Editor and Desktop Editor, you can use MTQE via the pre-translation feature which allows batch pre-translation with a number of options.
In the pre-translation settings, there is now the option to confirm 100% machine translation matches right away (as shown below). To learn more, refer to our Pre-translate section.
To use MTQE you will need to purchase characters (a form of credit) via Memsource. If you use the Manage Machine Translation via Memsource feature, you will be able to use the characters you purchase for machine translation or for MTQE.
For each segment estimated by MTQE (whether via Analysis, through the CAT panel in the Memsource Editors or during pre-translation), the appropriate number of characters will be deducted from the remaining characters available for your selected MT engine.
MTQE can be used with all MT engines supported by Memsource. However, if you wish to use it with multiple MT engines, you will need to purchase characters for each of the engine types. For example, the 2 million characters available for Microsoft Translator can only be used for the Microsoft Translator MT engine. To use MTQE with Google Translate, you would need to purchase characters for Google Translate separately.
1. To buy more characters, select Buy Characters next to the appropriate MT engine on the Machine Translation Settings page.
Machine Translation Settings page
2. The Buy More Characters page will appear.
There are three bundles available:
2 million characters - $40 (€34)
5 million characters - $100 (€85)
10 million characters - $200 (€170)
(The bundle prices for the engines that can be managed via Memsource can be found here.)
3. Select a bundle and then follow the instructions on the payment pages.
4. Once you have bought the characters, you will see the that the characters have been added to the Remaining characters column on the Machine Translation Settings page.
5. An invoice will have been automatically generated. A link to the invoice will be available in the green banner that appears when the payment has been successful. It can also be viewed by going to Setup>Subscription>Details.
There is no time limit when it comes to using up these characters. Once they are purchased they will remain in your account.