Using the Continuous Job feature, you can upload an updated version of an original file from a repository to an existing project, overwriting the older version of the same file. This is particularly useful for software localization. When new strings are added to a file in a repository, the modified source strings are updated and any deleted source strings are deleted. Unchanged strings that are already translated are copied to the updated version of the job.
- This feature is only available for specific file formats (see below).
- Files must be monolingual (multilingual format is not supported).
- The file must be uploaded from an online repository using one of the Memsource connectors.
- This feature is available for Team, Ultimate, and Enterprise edition users.
Supported File Formats
The continuous job feature is available for the following file formats:
- Android XML
- iOS strings
Managing the Continuous Job Settings
The Continuous Job Settings are available by going to Setup and clicking on Continuous Job Settings in the Automation section. They are set for the whole organization. Every Continuous Job will use these settings.
- Source Update Frequency: This controls how often the repository is checked for updates. (The shortest interval available is every 30 minutes.)
- Translation Export Frequency: This controls how often the translated content is exported back to the repository. (The shortest interval available is every 30 minutes.)
Please be aware that once the settings are chosen for a particular job, they cannot be changed for that job. If you change the settings at a later time, they will not apply to jobs that have already been set up using this feature; the new settings will only apply to new jobs.
Importing Continuous Jobs to a Project
The first instance of a Continuous Job is imported manually in a similar way to other files from the online repository:
- Open an existing project
- Click on New to open the New Job page
- Select Add from online repository
- Select the relevant repository and your files
- Check the option Import files as continuous jobs. This option only appears if at least one of the selected files is supported for Continuous Jobs (XML, PO, XLSX, Properties, CSV).
Continuous Jobs in Project View
Continuous jobs have a special icon in the project's view. The tooltip also shows that the job is continuous and when it was updated last.
Updating the Job
- The job is monitored periodically based on the Continuous Job settings.
- If a change in the source file is detected, the job in Memsource is updated.
- If the job that is being updated is opened in the Web Editor (i.e. someone is working on it), a notification is displayed to the user, and they are prompted to reload the job.
- Segments are updated based on the changes made in the source file.
- Unchanged segments are copied together with the translation in the target.
- The target is cleared for segments with the changed source. (The previous translation isn't lost because it's saved in the translation memory.)
- Segments deleted from the source file are also deleted from the job in Memsource.
Exporting a Translation Back to the Repository
- The translation is periodically pushed back to the repository based on the frequency set in the Continuous Job Settings.
- Translated target segments are exported only if they have been modified.
- Even unconfirmed modified segments are exported.
These jobs don't need to be set as Completed. If a Continuous job is set as Completed by a Linguist and a new update is available, the status of the job is changed to Emailed and a notification is sent to the assigned Linguist.