Linguists can work with a term base (TB) only if it is assigned to the job by a Project manager.
Linguists with standard user rights can only access a term base via Memsource Desktop and Web Editors, while Terminologists (Linguists with special user rights) can access the term base also via their Linguist Portal.
In the Memsource Desktop Editor and Web Editor, Linguists can:
- See the term base matches in the CAT pane and use them for translation
- Search the term base in the Search pane
- Add a new term to the writable TB
- Edit their own terms as long as the status of the terms is "New" (but it is not possible to delete them).
The “Terminologist” is a Linguist with permission to edit or delete all terms in the Term Base. This permission is set in their user profile by a Project Manager.
TB Assigned to the Job
Linguists can see which (if any) TB are assigned to their job. In the Web Editor, it is displayed in the top right corner. In the Desktop Editor, it is the bottom right corner. Hover your mouse over the icons to see more details.
- The green TB icon indicates that the TB is connected – hover your mouse over it to display the names of TBs
- The gray color indicates no TB is assigned
- The red color (in the Desktop Editor) indicates that the Linguist is not connected to the server and the TB is not available (check the Login).
CAT Pane in Memsource Editors
Matches from the translation memory or term base are shown in the Editors' CAT Pane. A term from the CAT pane can be inserted into the segment’s target by double-clicking on the term or by pressing the keyboard shortcut CTRL+ number of the CAT suggestion (for example CTRL+2).
- The yellow colored TB is a suggested term from a term base. The asterisk notifies users about a note attached to the term or usage information.
- The red term represents a rejected term - not to be used.
- Note and Usage
- Edit links
Creating a New Term in the Memsource Editors
Use menu Tools > Add Term or the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+T in the Desktop Editor, Alt+T in the Web editor) to open the New term window.
The following Term attributes are available:
- Case sensitive
- Fuzzy or exact match
- Forbidden (only in target)
- Note and Usage (only in target)
- Press "Add" button or hit "Enter" to save the term
The new terms added by a Linguist with standard user rights will have the status “New”.
The new terms added by a Terminologist (Linguist with rights to edit all terms in TB - set by the Project manager) will have the status “Approved”.
Editing term in Memsource Editors
The CAT pane in the Memsource Editors is used for editing the terms.
- Click on the term in the CAT pane and display Term’s details (like this)
- Use the links "Edit Source Term" or "Target term" (available only for editable terms *) to open the web browser page for editing terms
- Edit the term and save it.
* Linguists with standard user rights can only edit their own terms with the status "New". Once the Term is set as "Approved" by the Terminologist or Project manager, the Linguist can no longer edit it.
It is not possible to delete any terms via the Memsource Editors.
Editing Term in the Linguist Portal
The Terminologist can access the term base from their Linguist Portal and they can search, edit, and delete terms directly in the Cloud. This feature is not available for Linguists with standard user rights.