Memsource only supports XML files that have both source and target elements present for all paragraphs (even if the target is empty). The individual language elements must all be descendants of the same trans-unit element and one language cannot be contained in the other (see the example below).
When the source and target segmentation are different, the source segmentation is determining.
Multilingual XML Sample
Sample of partially translated text from English to German and French. Note that all <tuv lang="en">, <tuv lang="de"> and <tuv lang="fr"> are children of the same <tu> element.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <root> Not translatable text. <tu note="context note" key="ID 254" maxlen="16"> <tuv lang="en"> <seg>First segment.</seg> </tuv> <tuv lang="de"> <seg>Erste segment</seg> </tuv> <tuv lang="fr"> <seg></seg> </tuv> </tu> <tu note="another context note" key="ID 255" maxlen="18"> <tuv lang="en"> <seg>Second segment.</seg> </tuv> <tuv lang="de"> <seg></seg> </tuv> <tuv lang="fr"> <seg></seg> </tuv> </tu> </root>
Multilingual XML Import Settings
See the sample Multilingual XML above and its import settings on the screenshot.
- Elements containing source and target sub-elements: //tu
- Elements containing source text: tuv[@lang='en']/seg (in relation to the parent element //tu)*
- Elements containing target text (de): tuv[@lang='de']/seg (in relation to the parent element //tu)*
- Elements containing target text (fr): tuv[@lang='fr']/seg (in relation to the parent element //tu)*
- Non-translatable inline elements: (all elements in source or target are considered Translatable inline elements unless specified here as Non-translatable inline elements)*
- Convert to Memsource tags (use regexp): (see our Regexp page for help)
- Context key - value that constitutes TM context (101% match) if applicable*
- Context note - import element or attribute of context for each element*
- Max. target length - import element or attribute of max. target length for each element*
- Convert to character entities - enter a comma separated list of character references required in the output file. For example when you want quotes " represented as " and character Σ represented as Σ use ",Σ. Please note that & and < are always exported as & and <.
Multilingual XML Import Rules
Please note that the XPath expression should define the elements which text/value should be translated and not the actual text node.
See more information on XPath.
Please note that paragraph tags (such as <p>) will create a new segments even if the Segment Multilingual XML is unselected.
Segment Multilingual XML
Having one element as one segment is less error prone, but the text in the source and target elements can be segmented with general segmentation rules if required. The HTML subfilter is an exception.
Using Segment multilingual XML on a file that contains target text may result in a different number of segments in the source and in the target.
- A warning will be displayed on the project page: "Document segmentation resulted in a different number of source and target segments in some paragraphs. Extra segments have been joined with previous segments using space characters except in non-space languages (e.g., JA, ZH, KO). Try importing without segmentation."
- A segment comment will be added to the job in the Memsource Editors: "Target is not segmented as expected!".
- File Type: Multilingual XML
Jobs in Project
If the file was imported as multilingual into several target languages, the Completed file will be always composed from all the target languages.
HTML Preview with XSLT stylesheet
XSLT Preview File
XSLT language (Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations) can be used to transform XML documents into HTML format for in-context preview purposes. Memsource currently supports XSLT 2.0.
To import the Multilingual XML file with a stylesheet (XSL or XSLT), simply navigate to the bottom of the Multilingual XML import settings and choose an XSLT file. When you import an XML with a stylesheet, the Preview Translation (Document -> Preview Translation) in Memsource Desktop Editor will generate an HTML preview instead of an XML one (video). Once used for file import, XSLT can also be downloaded from the file import settings page.
Download XSLT Preview File
Tag Content Visualized
The tag content of the source XML file can be visualized via Edit - Expand Tags and edited via F2 in MemSource Editor.