Memsource Cloud allows users to directly modify TMs in the Cloud UI itself. However, performing large-scale editing and modifications to the TM can only be done outside Memsource UI. The below sections provide a guideline for updating TMs using Microsoft Excel.
Export of TM
- In your Memsource Cloud account, click on the Translation Memories section and open the Translation Memory you wish to update.
- Once in the TM, navigate to Export.
- Select XLSX as the format for the export.
- In the dialog window you can specify what information (columns) the exported XLSX file should contain.
- Download the XLSX file.
MS Excel Preparation
If you wish to update your Translation Memory with content processed in MS Excel, you need to make sure that the file is formatted according to instructions provided in Translation Memory Update). Below is an easy way how to add "update" to the translation unit IDs in the entire document, which can then be used to update the Translation Memory in Memsource Cloud:
- Insert 2 additional columns between *ID* and the first language column.
- Move the *ID* header right next to the 2nd newly created column.
- Fill the 1st empty column with the word update.
- Insert the formulate below into the new *ID* column.
- Make sure you are selecting the correct columns (the column with translation unit IDs needs to be selected in place of CELL1, the column containing the word update should be selected in place of CELL2).
- You can also specify the location of the cells manually using your mouse.
- Once the formula is completed, press Enter.
- The first line of the column *ID* now contains the correct attribute added to the end of the ID.
- Drag the corner of this cell to the rest of the file to pre-fill the entire column with the same formula results.
- The segments in the file are now ready to update your TM in Memsource Cloud.
- Once all the edits are done, Save the file.
Updating the TM
The updated file can now be imported to update the original Translation Memory from which it was exported.
- In your Memsource Account, navigate back to the Translation Memory from which this XLSX was downloaded.
- Use the Import button and select the updated XLSX file.
- Once selected, click Import.
- The XLSX file will be imported, but instead of creating new segments, the segments in the document will update the content of your Translation Memory.
- Segments that were changed will replace the older versions. Unchanged segments will remain intact.
- Please note that the same procedure can be used to delete the Translation Units completely - in this case use "delete" instead of "update".