Depending on the users and their permissions settings, segments can be saved to a translation memory in several ways. Below, you'll find out how based on whether you're a Linguist or a Project Manager.
Tips and Tricks: Sometimes, segments are not saved to the translation memory. There are a few reasons this can occur, such as:
- Working offline in Memsource Desktop Editor
- Pre-translating a job with the Set segment status to confirmed for... box checked
- Importing an XLIFF file as a new job with the Set segment confirmed when... box checked
Note: Linguists can save segments to a translation memory only if that TM has been assigned to a project as "writable". (The Project Manager will have to check the Write checkbox to do this. If it's not checked, the Linguist will not be able to edit any segments.)
- The first way that a Linguist can edit a TM is by confirming the segments in the Memsource Editor during the translation process. The Editor must be online, and the Linguist must be signed in for the TM to be updated.
- The second way is to upload a translated bilingual file to a project via the Desktop Editor. Do this by going to Menu and clicking on Upload to Server. Additionally, a linguist can also use the Linguist Portal by selecting the job, clicking Tools in the Jobs section, and then clicking Upload....
- Project managers can upload a bilingual file to a project by first going to the job's page. Click on Tools and select Upload... (Please note: in order for this to work, the TM assigned to the project must be "writable". This is done with the Project Manager checks the Write checkbox when uploading the initial file.)
- You can also import a standard XLIFF file as a new job. Under the File Import Settings, check the Save confirmed segments to TM on import box. This will ensure that all segments that get imported to Memsource as confirmed will be saved as long as Write mode is enabled.
- While not recommended, it is possible to import the bilingual MXLIFF directly to the translation memory.
Articles related to Translation Memory: